When thinking of a peace maker images of important world leaders who dedicate their whole lives to the prevention of wars come to my mind. Only after studying a passage in James with Mr P in our Sunday School class did I notice the important calling of a peace maker for me as a mom!
James 3:17-18
"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness."
In our discussion we talked about who in our lives exhibitied the qualities of a peace maker. My husband mentioned moms and teachers of young children, as often disputes arise involving sharing of toys, taking turns, and learning to get along. He marvelled at the patience those who have dedicated their lives to daily working with children. Even though I find him to be extremely patient with our three, he more than once has said how amazed he is at my career as a mom!
Looking closer still at these verses I hope that as I help my young ones with their disputes, I encourage them to look at their siblings and peers with compassion and love; so that I will be raising "a harvest of righteousness" in these precious lives God is helping me lead.
2 comments:
Wow I never thought about those raising young children as peace makers before, but when I read that, the events I so often encounter with these little ones made me realize that is exactly what I am doing. Hmmm, I think sometimes I don't look like that's what I'm doing. :o
Moms are peacemakers in many ways, both as the "referee" between the kids arguements, and also as the person who institutes peace when a child is arguing their own point with you (which happens more as they get older).
I think being a wife can be harder to be a "peacemaker" than a mom though. As a wife, we must die to self (so to speak, that sounds really heavy).
I think women in general have tough, tough jobs. We are the helpmate and the submitter and the glue and the referee of the family. I need a helpmate to help me be the helpmate!!! LOL!!!
Your husband is right. You are a great peacemaker; not to mention a great friend and a good example to all.
Post a Comment