Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We Are Cooking!




We've been doing some Christmas baking around here! My youngest LOVES to help and wants to do it all! She even said, "Mom, I'm working hard!" She is making her Grand Mimi proud! These are some easy recipes from some dear friends!



This has got to be the easiest sweet treat and fun to take to parties! We received this idea from a Joyful friend attending a Super Bowl Party with us several years ago.






You put square shaped pretzels on a baking sheet and top each with a Rolo candy. Put them in a 350 degree oven for five minutes and immediately place a pecan half on top.









Sparkling Toffee Cookies



(full of Green Love!-recipe is from S.Green)


1 1/2 stick butter (softened)



1 cup sugar



1 egg



1 teaspoon vanilla



2 cups flour



1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder



1/4 teaspoon baking soda



1/2 cup toffee bits (or to taste-I put in the whole bag!)



Sugar for top to taste



Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in mixer bowl. Beat @ medium speed until creamy. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, reduce speed to low. Beat until well mixed. Stir in toffee bits. (I refrigerate the dough for an hour) Shape into one inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten with bottom of glass or fork for criss cross pattern. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Sprinkle with sugar while warm.






















I only make this next recipe around Christmas time. The sweet friend I received it from has made it an all occasion treat by changing the color on the covering. Pink and Blue at a baby shower was my favorite one she had made. These treats are only about half a sweet and rich in goodness as my friend, S. Cray.






My kids call them Snow Balls (on the Internet you can find them under Oreo balls)



I think the recipe is easier if you have a food processor but we do not. As is it is a fun and easy one for my youngest to help with.






We take a whole package of oreos (12 cookies at a time-all my blender can handle) and crush them in a Ziploc freezer bag. Then we put them in a blender and set it to chop! We do this over and over until the whole package of oreos is exhausted.






In a bowl we combine the pulverized oreos, (2) 8 oz cream cheese (softened) and a 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I put the dough in the refrigerator for one hour. Roll dough into small balls. Refrigerate for another hour. Coat with white almond bark.




Patterson Love all wrapped up and ready to deliver!
Amish Friendship bread pictured but not blogged about, perhaps another time!

11 comments:

The Davidsons said...

Yummy! You're making me hungry with all of that talk about food and all those pictures. I love baking and will have to try some of the recipes...especially the pretzel candies. Oh, and I can vouch for the Oreo balls...I've made them before. I'm not too good at dipping them in the white chocolate, though. Mine never turn out as pretty as anyone else's. :o) Looks like B loves to cook as much as I did when I was a little girl. Love to all of you...

Sue J. said...

Ah, the Amish friendship bread--the gift you can keep on giving, and giving, and giving..... :-)

We LOVE to bake here, too, and think this is one of the best gifts you could share. Who doesn't love a baked treat!? Great wrapping, too.

We will probably do a cookie a day once school is out. Can't wait!

Leaon Mary said...

Oh you are putting me in the mood to BAKE! AND EAT! LOL WHAT adorable little elves that are helping you too!
I love the recipes but love the photos of yall the most!
and your festive wrappings are beeeautiful!!!!

Kelly said...

I LOVE the Cray Oreo balls. I make them too! Yummy! And we make the Joy's pretzel rolo things too.

Tis the season! Glad you all are having a ball baking together!

Kelly said...

p.s. I bought my Cici an easy bake oven for Christmas and a fancy kid's apron. She is going to go ga-ga over it!!!!!!!!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

These recipe's sounds so scrumptuous! I'm printing them out to make with my kiddies. I love the pic's of your youngest. What amazing eyes she has! Love it!

Sonya

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Looks yummy! I'll be over to pick mine up. =) ha ha.

Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Kelly said...

I can vouch that the Cray Snow balls were in fact DELICIOUS!!! I had some today. MMmmmmmm!!

Thank you Patterson 5!!! (and especially Mrs Patterson).

Edie said...

It all looks SO delicious!! I will have to try at least the two easiest ones next week when the girls are out of school.

Twins plus one... said...

Yum! Thanks so much for posting about your baking adventures with your babes-I have got new recipes to try this holiday! Can't wait to try them out! I love oreo balls too--and agree S. Cray is just as sweet as they are!

sgreen said...

oh, I made the sparkling coookies this week! Oh, they now have a whole new meaning-how all of you Pattersons sparkle! Love the pics-and I will have to try Cray Oreo balls-many raving reviews!
Thanks so much for sharing-wish I could bake some together!