This meme is going on at Chatty Kelly's and at Greg's General Store. It is about seven of your favorite Christmas memories. I thought it would be fun to share seven Christmas memories from my childhood.
1) My favorite Christmas memory is the Christmas Eve candle lite service at my childhood church. I can't remember how old I was the first time I was old enough to attend; but it left the most amazing, awe inspiring impression on me. After the songs were sung and the message delivered by the minister, the lights were all turned out and it was completely dark except for the Advent wreath. With out Christ our lives would be dark and cold. Jesus the light of the world fills our lives with warmth and light. And as we share this light with others it only shines brighter and brighter. The light from the Christ candle is spread through out the sanctuary while we sing Silent Night. By the time the song is sung the sanctuary is filled with light! I would always want to keep it lit even after the lights were turned on.
2.) I also treasured singing in the children's choir as a kid. I still remember some of our songs from Christmas past and sing them even today......
Christmas isn't Christmas until it happens in your heart
Somewhere deep inside you is where Christmas really starts
So give your heart to Jesus and you'll discover when you do
That it's Christmas really Christmas for you.
Jesus gives gifts of truth and life and makes them bloom and grow
So welcome him with a song of joy and when he comes you'll know
I was probably in second grade when we sang that song and it still touches my heart!
3.) We'd have lots of family gatherings around Christmas. On my Daddy's side I was the baby. So even in fourth and fifth grade I could still sit in my dear Grandpa's lap. He smelled of Old Spice and his blue eyes sparkled with the merriment of Christmas!
4.) The day after Christmas early in the morning (around 2AM) we'd get on the train to visit my Mom's side of the family. As a little girl it was very exciting not only to be up at that hour but to be at the depot and standing on the platform waiting for our train as another train would whoosh by! It would take my breath away!
5.) When I was seven (I think), my Aunt and Uncle had a baby girl (she's all grown now and is a blogger too!) The first time I saw my baby cousin she was just an infant and my Aunt let me follow her all around... "helping". The next year, I named my baby doll I had received as a Christmas present after my cousin.
6.) My mom makes magic at Christmas time! Mr P. agrees! She does the house all in fresh greenery and cooks wonderful family goodies like my grandmother Aggie's date orange muffins and red velvet cake! This year she and my Daddy are coming to my house! I am hoping I can make some magic for her!
7.) Mom and Dad would always get a fresh tree and my Mom would set out the decorations ahead of time to prepare. She'd let me play with all of the ornaments. (The angels had to talk to baby Jesus and the toy soldgers had to protect the dolls!) I smiled fondly as my boys stopped to play with some of our ornaments when we decorated our tree. My youngest pulls a few off the tree from time to time to play or to re-arranges them so they can talk to each other!
Merry Merry Christmas to you! Feel free to share your memories too!
9 comments:
Your #5 reminded me of my Gigi naming her babydoll after your middle son, and how she wanted to be your helper when your daughter was born.
I loved your memories. I know your mom will have magic at your house!
Merry Christmas!
What sweet Christmas memories! And, I especially love memory number 5. :o) I had no idea about the baby doll, though. We all love you and your family, and I just love being able to keep up with all of you through blogging. It is such a blessing in my life!
I remember picking you all up at the train station in Meridian wiht Mimi and P-Paw. I still love going by that station. It brings back fond memories for me, too.
What precious and wonderful memories you have! I just loved this.
I saw some Old Spice the other day while I was Christmas shopping and thought of my dad.
Your love for your mom is so evident I have no doubt that you make magic for her all the time.
Thanks for sharing!
You have such vivid memories, which is probably why you are able to carry on so many traditions. That's just wonderful!
CJ loves your snowballs, by the way. (Thanks to S.C., too, right?)
I absolutely remember Christmas Eve services with the candlelight being passed. For a time, we weren't allowed to have a candle. But when we were....oh boy! And now, we go to church at 4? Too early for candles!
Thanks for the visit into your memories!
Yes they are S.C.'s recipe! That's what makes them so special!
This post made me teary. What wonderful memories and traditions you have. I think I will post my special 7 on my blog, too...if you don't mind. How special to let us have a glimpse of what you hold dear-and you have such a beautiful way of expressing your memories and why they're special for you. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me!
Post a Comment