I do not like to ask for help! I am like my three year old as I say, "I can do it by myself!" I struggle to share my weaknesses and spiritual struggles, reasoning that it could bring others down. Yet we all need help and support from others. God designed us to need one another. Jesus taught us to serve one another through His life and ministry. This Sunday we are singing an anthem about sharing the load, serving one another, going on this journey of life together. Our director noted the line "Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant too." I am not alone in my stubborn independence.
Here are the words to the song:
We Are Travelers On A Journey
Richard Gillard
We are pilgrims on a journey
We are brothers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load
I will hold the Christ light for you
In the night-time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the peace you long to hear
I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through
When we sing to God in heaven
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony
Brother, let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.
Philippians 2:5
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but make himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness."
Romans 12:15
"Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn."
Galatians 6:2
" Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
1 comment:
I've sung this one, too (though it took me reading the words a bit to remember the tune).
I, the Lord, of Sea and Sky is another one of those songs that reminds us being like Christ, the Servant. Will we go to others? Will we embrace that glorious passage in Philippians and take to heart Who Jesus truly was?!
Plugging into all the relationship talk we are doing at church--we need to get into those relationships and make them work--meaning we're open, wounds and all, and we share, and we learn, grow and are encouraged to move forward.
Pray for His strength to reach out to someone else, even when you think you can do it yourself. He is surprising!
Post a Comment