Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mom's Hiding In The Bathroom

As the mom of three children I hear the calls of, "Mom!" a lot at my house! I have even talked to friends who on long days have wished they could hide (from their children) just for a moments peace. Thankfully as my boys are getting older I am teaching them ways of handling some issues on their own so they are not calling for me over and over throughout the day.

Immediately after school is a whirl wind time where the "Mom" calls are still at a high level. Each boy requests help from homework. Pencils, though located exactly where they have always been, are asked for as well as drinks, snacks, and it seems even the dog needs assistance and no on else but Mom will do. Often on these occassions I will in turn, complain to my husband, my mom or a friend. Some times I will fuss at my children, even if some of their requests were legitamate needs. I meet their needs, of course, but sometimes with a grumbly attitude.

Moses was in charge of a whole nation, so it makes the three I am in charge of certainly small by comparison, but I can still learn from his example of leadership. Moses, when faced with complaints, requests, and grumblings of his people, went directly to God. On several occassions he even fell face down to the ground in prayer. God always come through for him and gives him council and at times percise instructions.

Moses, an amazing leader, and faithful servant of God, misses a blessing by not following God's instructions. While wandering in the wilderness, his sister, Mariam dies, and there is no water. The Isrealites complain and moan in their usual fashion. (They complain a lot and really put loads of blame on Moses and God) Instead of speaking to a rock so that water may spring forth as God commanded; Moses strongly rebuked his people and angrily struck the rock twice. He did not trust that simply by speaking to the rock as God said, it would bring forth water. I wonder if it was out of sheer frustration and the strain of leading such a wayward group for so long that caused him to not do as God commanded. Moses and Aaron were not permitted to enter the Promised Land because of this lack of trust. They missed a blessing.

What blessings am I missing in my leadership role? How could I better handle those moments when I may want to hide in the bathroom? Am I trusting that God will protect them? Instead of grumbling as I clean the milk that was spilled several times in a day, couldn't I look at these many demands of me as opportunities for my children to watch me turn to God in prayer during frustrating moments. Instead of losing my cool and fussing couldn't I see these moments as times to teach them to help one another by serving their siblings?


Dear God,
Today I am thankful for Your Word which is helpful in every aspect of my life. I thank you for the life of Moses and his service to You. Lord, help me to trust in You in the care and upbringing of my children. Help me to have a possitive attitude in my training of them.
In Jesus Name
Amen

Numbers 20: 1-13

6 comments:

Edie said...

I have been having a harder time lately when I have my three little ones over here. It's just hard to coral three of them. And yes, the dog always needs attention at the same time everything is going chaotic.

Good reminder Mrs P!

On Purpose said...

Thank you so much this very real and practical application of His living word. We can't be mommy without Him. And I love how you remind me that they are watching how we handle things and what better time to pray and go to God when life feels overwhelming and consuming!

Sue J. said...

Just as there truly is no fleeing our children, there is no fleeing from God--He always knows where we are (and the kids always find the bathroom!).

So, how to make the most of life when it all is overwhelming in a short span of time and space....

Well said!

Anonymous said...

I needed these words today...especially as I am still listening to my boys call for mom as they boycott bedtime! (And the bathroom is too close to their room...it won't even provide a quiet hiding place--LOL!!)
Your message was well received here! Thanks, Mrs. P!

My ADHD Me said...

As I type this, wondering if my ethernet cable will stretch under the bathroom door, I can so understand what you are saying.

Moses had it SO much harder than we do. I cannot imagine his frustration!

The Patricks said...

Ginny, I love to read your blog b/c you always, always have an encouraging word from God. Oh, how many times I have grumbled and complained about the constant "MOM!" requests (especially after school, like you said!) Thank you for the reminder of Moses and how he always turned to God, as he led a whole nation. Surely, with God's help, I can handle my little nation of two children. Thanks, Ginny!