Thursday, February 26, 2009

You Get What You Get And You Don't Have A Fit

That was a "saying" of my niece's elementary school teacher. It recently struck home to me during my weekly Bible study. We were studying Numbers chapter 11 and 12. The Israelites had been camped around Mount Sinai for forty days and now were on the move towards the promised land!

I love to camp! Packing up all of our gear and heading out into the wilderness where everything is peaceful and quiet..... that's my kind of trip!....for about 24 hours. After 24 hours, I like not just a shower, but a hot shower. I enjoy cooking one or two meals, max, over a camp fire..the smoke, and the way it makes my hair smell, Ugghh! As much as I like the outdoors; truly I am an "indoor" girl.

The Israelites, probably tired, out of shape from sitting in one place for forty days, and bored of eating only manna, complained. They even said they wished they were back in Egypt. God heard their complaints and was angry. Angry enough to place a ring of fire around them burning some to death. God does not like complaints.

God freed them from slavery, just like God freed me from my bondage of sin. They were right in the middle of God's Will for them, and they wanted to be somewhere else. God placed them in the desert, resided with them, and provided for their every need. God has placed me here,I am in His Will for me, far away from my extended family, He's residing with me in my heart, through the Holy Spirit, and He has provided richly for every one of my needs. What do I have to complain about? I am so, like the Israelites as I have complained about many trivial things.

Moses complained as well, but he took his complaints directly to God rather than spreading all that negative energy. God answered His prayer and was not angry with Moses complaints. Perhaps when I feel the need for a complaint, prayer would be the first place to start. Bringing the complaint to God possibly will remind me of the blessings He's given along the way. Three beautiful children...sleepless nights at times when needs are many. The blessing definitely out weighs the complaint! Even on my hardest of days, I have not received what I have deserved. God is good and I have much to be grateful for!

James tells us that in our trials, we should count it all joy. God wants us to trust in Him during the hard times, for He will work it all out for good for those who love Him and follow His commands. Paul tells us to be content in ALL circumstances. That includes the circumstances that cause me to be sleep deprived!

Dear God,
May this wake up call I have received bring about a transformation in my attitude. May I have an attitude of gratitude in all circumstances, praising you for the many blessings I have every day. In Jesus Name, Amen.

I encourage you to read Numbers 11. Chapter 12 deals with the dangers of envy...I could blog on that one too!

James 1:2
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when ever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."

Philippians 2:14
"Do everything with out complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation , in which you shine like stars of the universe."

Philippians 4:6
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God"

Philippians 4:11
"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."

Romans 8:28
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

1 Corithians 10:11
"These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us."

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this post! Yes, I do complain, and I too am reading the old testament, and it is making me think. I'm right here with you. Take it to God.

I'm right on the same path you are. Pretty neat.

Edie said...

Oh I know about this. I grew up heavily incluenced by a complainer. It has taken years to change that in myself. Not that I'm there yet but God has made a lot of progress in this area.

Great thoughts!!

Sue J. said...

I see things that I think ought to be better, to be different, to be more Godly....yet, when is it my place to fix these kinds of situations? If God called upon me to take action, that would be a different story. Most of the time, it's just my head trying to be as big as God's--and woe to me!

It was a light bulb going off when we studied the passage that murmuring under your breath (complaining) was a sign of disobedience and disrespect of God!

He can understand me when I honestly and humbly come before Him, because He knows I'm seeking things that are beyond me. That doesn't mean I can have that knowledge, but by seeking Him, I have at least called upon the only One who can work things out in me.

It's hard to look at yourself in the mirror sometimes, and that's what it's often like to study the Israelites!