"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader."
-John Quincy Adams
Today at my daughter's preschool they asked each child what they wanted to be when they grew up. You can imagine the responses from a class of three year olds! One little girl hoped to be Lightning McQueen. My daughter would like to be a cheerleader and her friend wants to be a butterfly....when you're three the sky is the limit!
During my more discouraging days I feel I have to tell my children each little thing to do....make your bed, brush your teeth, don't forget your back pack or coat, do your homework, say thank you, eat your vegetables, say your prayers.......Sometimes it feels my Mommy days are spent micromanaging my three young ones.
After our devotion time in the evenings we pray together as a family. We tell God how much we love Him. We praise him for the day and opportunities that came our way. We pray for each one of our children, that they will help their teacher the next day, be a friend to someone in need, and most importantly want to learn more about God, and yearn to be the young man or young lady God has planned them to be. We have a vision of what we most hope for them, and it has nothing to do with the occupation they might choose.
So whether or not my daughter ever actually becomes a cheerleader or simply cheers others on does not matter. What's important is that she persues a relationship with Jesus and allows Him to lead her life. Through bad times and good He promises to never leave her.
Psalm 139:16b
"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Ephesians 2:10
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
4 comments:
I watched the John Adams series on HBO a while ago now. It's so impressive! And you get to meet John Quincy and see the relationship that his father had with his oldest son. It would seem that John had many days of micromanaging his son, because he saw his great potential. I have no doubt John Quincy was inspired by his father (and mom, too!!)
But, God holds all our days, numbers all our hairs, and is in total control of everything. And we can either embrace that truth and enjoy a fulfilling life as He intended, or we can find our way around it and end up lost.
He gives us so many opportunities to try so many things, even as He is leading us to His ends.
Go, go, little cheerleader! I have no doubt she will be an encourager!!
I love it when He puts it all together for us. Thank you for being a real family who lives it out for others to see!
Your comment about tellings kids every detail to do. I just think of God looking at me and saying "Kelly, do I have to tell you AGAIN to do...."
As for your little cheerleader, she has a great coach in her mom! You are a great cheerleader. Thank you!
I love the quote.
I keep reminding myself that they learn by repitition. I wish I would have known that better when I was raising my daughter. I would have had more patience.
Post a Comment