
My oldest son went to a birthday party over this holiday weekend for a good friend of his from church. He was delighted as the invitation read: "You have been drafted!" ....for basic training.....there would be obstacle courses, combat with the enemy and birthday celebrations! Army men birthday! Little boys dream party!
Instead of bringing a gift the boys are asked to bring items to pack in a care package to send to a platoon that is being deployed to Afghanistan. These 6 soldiers are in a very remote area, have 110 v power, but have no running water, and are all living in a small plywood area, 8x10 in size. The boys were each asked to write a letter to these men and participated in packing the care package.
Here is Josh's letter:
Dear Soldier,
Thank you for protecting our country.
You keep us safe.
You are a hero.
I want to be in the Air Force when I grow up.
I am a Cub Scout.
I like to swim.
I play the electric guitar.
I wish you good luck.
May God be with you.
Your friend,
Josh
As I go through my days enjoying a luxurious lifestyle (especially compared to the living conditions of these soldiers who are protecting all of us), I will keep them, and their families, in my prayers not just on this Memorial Day but every day.
Dear God,
As we remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives for our protection and freedom, may we remember you taught us there is no greater love than to lay one's life down for one's friends. May the families of those who have lost loved ones, while in the service of our country find peace and comfort in knowing they have followed in Jesus foot steps.
May you surround our troops with loving protection. Grant them courage and trust in You for each task they face. Also provide strength, peace, and provisions for their families while they are away. Lord please be with our country's leaders. May they rely on Your guidance as they make decisions that affect the lives of so many. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.
John 15:12-13
"This is my commandment that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend."
2 comments:
Thanks for this post! It's the kind that would bring a tear to my hubby's eye. :-)
What a thoughtful idea to add to a boy's birthday party! That theme can be confusing to boys, if not put in the right perspective. Josh has a great perspective on it all, if not a personal perspective.
Thanks for the thoughtful post!
Post a Comment