Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Letter To My Mom for Mother's Day!

Dear Mom,
How do I begin a letter telling you how thankful I am for you? Can a letter hold so much love and admiration? As a child I know I took so much that you did for me for granted, and only now as a mother do I see how incredibly blessed I am because of you. So much of what makes me, "me" is wrapped up in you, and the love you so selflessly gave all of my life.

During the sleepless nights of my own children's infancy I remembered all the nights you'd snuggle with me and assure me all was well...there was not need to be afraid. When my children have been sick I remember how you'd go the extra mile to make me comfortable, never complaining of the extra messes that illnesses created. You'd spend the whole day awaiting on my every need with a joyful heart. Even to this day, when I am sick my only wish is that you were here.

As my own children follow me everywhere, and I at times wish I could hide away in the bathroom just for a silent moment; I remember how I would follow you through the house chatting away never giving you a moments privacy. You never acted as though you needed it. You'd listen to all I had to say and still do!

As I read to my children I remember all of our trips to the library as a child. You encouraged me to read and it opened a world of adventure and joy of learning that I still carry today. As I encourage my children in school, I remember how you were an advocate for my education making sure I did not slip through the cracks, getting me the help I needed.

As I nurture the interests and gifts my children have, I remember all of the dance classes, dress rehearsals and recitals you......endured. I loved every minute of those times, and I thank you for them now, as I'm sure I did not say thanks then.

As I hold on to my dear children, one on the verge of adolescense, my heart aches for the pain and disappointments I put you through during those tumultuous times. Yet I cling to the promises that held true for me and will also for my children that what is planted in their hearts will be returned too. Thank you for planting God's truth in my heart.

As I talk to you on the phone, sometimes several times a week, my heart is sad that we do not live closer in miles yet then I realize my mom is my best girl friend. You are who I call first when we have happy news. You are who I want to share all of our happenings with. So though we are far apart in miles we are truly close at heart. As I spend my treasured days with my daughter I hope we too will have the gift you and I share!

Happy Mother's Day to you Mom! I love you!
Ginny

6 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

That is beautiful. You AND your mom are very lucky to have each other.

Kelly said...

You were blessed with a wonderful mother, and that blessing has returned full as you too are a wonderful mother.

Yay! Love you Kitty! Love you Mrs P!

On Purpose said...

What a beautiful gift!

Unknown said...

Ginny, that was really a beautiful tribute to your relationship with your mother and also with your children. Love you. Cindy.

twinsplusone said...

Isn't it amazing how motherhood changes our perception of our own mothers and their love and affection they show to us? Becoming a mom has made me understand and appreciate my mom so much more--and your post helped me think about all of the things my mom joyfully did for me--although sometimes when I do them for my children I am not always "joyful!"
I am hoping that you mailed a copy of this letter to your mom, it is something to treasure (for both of you) forever!

I hope you have a fabulous Mother's Day weekend, reflecting on the wonderful job your mom did in raising you and the wonderful job you are doing raising your three!

Happy Mother's Day, Ginny!

Sue J. said...

My mom just took care of me after my surgery, and she did way more than I was expecting (because I required more help than I thought I was going to need!). And just as she took care of my bug bites and bee stings; bounced my 1st little one for several hours in the wee hours; she totally took care of me and my family in every way. Moms are amazing!

You and your mom have had quite the journey, and I understand how difficult it must be to not be physically closer. But that God has blessed you with this marvelous relationship and has kept you connected is a testament to His plan for your relationship from day #1.

Thanks for sharing....enjoy a special day Sunday, and I'm sure you'll be sharing it with your mom, even in ways beyond your beautiful testimony!