Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Valuable Lesson Learned

I learned today that when two little four year olds are quiet there definitely is trouble a brewing! My four year old and her dear friend were supposedly playing dress up in my daughters room. I decided to help my sons with home work, and pack lunches for tomorrow...(good to stay ahead!). The girls had only been unattended for perhaps 30 minutes. My daughters friend's mom came by, and seeing as the girls were obviously having a grand time, we decided to chat and have a cup of tea. While we were chatting, we hear a strange noise coming from my living room. We investigate.... and see water pouring down from the ceiling through the overhead light fixture/ceiling fan. We rush upstairs to my bathroom and to our astonishment our girls were, oh so happily sitting in each of the two sinked vanity, bubbles flying everywhere, water over flowing the counter top to the floor, with two inches of water already standing! Thankfully each girl was safe and no injuries incurred. We mopped the floor with EVERY towel in my linen closet and went to assess the downstairs damage. Though it looked daunting we called a neighborhood handyman who is kind, wise, and retired so we could do as much clean up as possible before Mr P's arrival home. We used a borrowed steam cleaner to suck up as much water as possible from the carpet in my living room-- and the fan has never been cleaner! I am thankful for gracious, kind, neighbors who come to help in a pinch! I am thankful the girls learned why we don't just leave the water running and running. I am thankful for a husband who take our adventures all in stride! I only wish I had a picture of the joy on their faces! They were really having a grand ol' time!

4 comments:

Sue J. said...

Perhaps a little too much excitement for one day!!

Indeed, how great to have so much support all around you to help take care of a situation that otherwise might have caused a lot of distress (putting it mildly!). And B will now have one of those stories that sticks with her. ("Remember the day when....")

But, it's those kinds of events that enrich your level of patience, that call for you to be reliant on those God places in your midst and in Him, and that bring surprising blessings on multiple levels. (Yea for cleaner fans!!)

Thanks for being a model mom for those of us still struggling with the "small" stuff!

Kelly said...

Maybe I need to experience that. Remember when your oldest said "why are all those feathers on your fan? Is there a bird's nest up there?" It was DUST! LOL!

I can't imagine my response to what happened over there, and am glad I don't have to. What a mess! Your attitude is to be commended. And I'll bet the LAST thing you wanted to do is soak in a bubble bath to ease your stress. LOL!

I'm glad no one was hurt. It could have been worse is so many ways. All in all, a good lesson for your Princess...and for you!

ABW said...

Too funny (of course it wasn't my house or child this time!). I have an 8 year old that operates like this. :)

twinsplusone said...

Oh, Mrs. P! Such an adventure...and I bet they were so joyful in their play...not knowing they were creating a small disaster downstairs! So glad you got it cleaned up (and with the help of friends) and kept smiling. I admire you for that!