My mom grew up in a small town. It only has one stop light and everyone knows every one else. Chuck, the kids, and I went into town with my aunt and Grandma, so she could get her hair done for the wedding. We explored the "downtown" and watched a train rush by. The kids ran on ahead of us, no need to encourage that they stay right with us and hold our hands- it was nice. We even saw one of my mom's cousin's (I know that makes her my cousin too- it's one my mom grew up with... as a girl). She recognized me and we had a nice visit. She marvelled at how much my little girl looks like my cousin's girls that live in Pelahatchie. She even invited us to
the town Easter Egg Hunt for the next day. We did go and my mom enjo
yed visiting with folks from her high school days!
The kids found this tree near the play ground they LOVED climbing!
Pelahatchie is very far away for us to visit (it takes us 15 hours by car). I am always thankful for each and every visit to this wonderful place. What makes it wonderful is all of the people. Even though we do not get there very often we are welcomed with warm hugs, and open hearts.
I was able to see lots of family, my Grandma, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. I was able to laugh, hold, and sing with children I am watching grow up in pictures. I reminisced about mischievous times in our youth when we were.. "the kids" and often in trouble. The time, as always, was way too short. Though all of these dear ones are far away in miles they remain close in my heart.
5 comments:
What a loving tribute to your far away family. So glad you had a lovely trip.
Looks like you had a wonderful time. Everything looks so nice. I love Spring:)
I'm totally choked up over this. The closest thing I have to something like this was visiting my dad's family's small village...? (town?) We would visit for a week or two in the summer, and the same neighbor kids would be there. We would all be shy together for a few moments, and then it went along as if we had known each other all our lives. Great memories!
I'm sure it must be hard to be so far away, even as you are trying to create that same kind of special place for your kids to remember here.
Enjoyed the visit!
Looks like fun! That is a long drive!! I'm glad you got to go!
I so enjoyed seeing you and your family, and it looks like y'all had lots of fun while you were down here - visits to the big downtown Hatchie and even a trip to the zoo. There were times Friday evening where I wished PiPaw was there and that the Patrick Family singers could break out in an "I'll Fly Away" or "Victory in Jesus." Everytime I hear those old hymns, I smilke and think of him and y'all. Although I don't get to see all of you nearly as often as I'd like, it is such a blessing that we have our blog world and are able to keep in touch that way. Hope y'all have a glorious Easter! I love you!
Post a Comment